From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:58:02 -0400
Skin numbing cream (for sub-cu fluids and such): It is hard to read the
label.  (We have a little moved to a different container.)  It looks
like the name is maybe Emie Cream or Emla Cream.  A little is put on with
a cotton swap.  Then wait 2 to 6 minutes.  Syringe on a little rubbing
alcohol.  Then proceed as normal with the needle.  It really does help.
I think this has to be gotten through the treating vet; it is new.

Under stove: be careful about the following concerns: The outlets for
stoves often are just a cut in the wall and a ferret might get in, there
have been a handful of reports over the years in the FML or ferrets
gettign under gas stoves and there being enough gas (slight leak?) for
them to asphixiate, one individual years ago reported a ferret digging
out insulating layers (badly made stove?) and getting into the structure
of the oven itself.  If blocking a stove or if blocking something with a
motor remember that you have allow for whatever level of air circulation
it needs so your local fire marshall may have tips and know how low you
can set the legs if it has the types that can be turned to change
heights, the room may need to be blocked off, you may find that you can
rig up something with caging wire, etc.  We have some crumpled aluminum
pans in next to our's for safety and in front of those we've got an old
round baking pan on it's side.  Hilbert has figured out that he can stand
on his rear legs and walk backwards, rolling the pan out and across the
kitchen as he walks backwards on his rear legs.  For some reason I am not
allowed to see it and he will drop the pan if I approach but he shows
Steve how it's done.

BTW, it's been a little while since I've said this: I am not a vet.

Vicky wrote about ferrets of questionable age:
>hmmmm, :{   I've seen this situation at a couple of pet stores in IA
>(one pet store refused them, the other the owner was out of town and...

Four points: The law in New Hampshire is a very important one and it
will be wonderful if people and clubs get similar ones passed elsewhere.
Alicia is an expert on how the get these through.  You can find past
posts on her's on this in the Ferret Mailing List Archives (address in
the header of every day's FML, or always easy to find using a search
engine like google.com).

Alicia will be teaching how to do this and get other good legislation at
the IFC Ferret Symposium: htpp://www.ferretcongress.org

As Alicia noted age needs to be told from dentition.  If you search for
that info you will find it in the FML Archives, and at other sites.

In some states pet stores are required to provide medical care when
needed.  You'll have to check in your own state to see if this applies
in this situation.