From:
Karen Daigneault <"[log in to unmask]"@BEALENET.COM>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 07:25:39 -0600
>Every where I turned...a child, sticking her fingers in Zooey's face.
>There was a supervisor there (about 19 years old or so) w ho just stood
>there and watched this mauling w/o making any comments.

in which case I would have been downright rude and told this person to
do what they were there for...

Minta, you have far more patience then me..:}  I have a 7 year old, who,
in turn brings in alot of children this age.  I, too, have experienced
this with children.

On one particular incident, Sammie accompanied us to the skating rink a
couple of weeks ago.  Unfortunately, they did not have skates to fit him so
I didn't skate that evening.  The children were very impressed with Sammie.
Being the good natured guy that he is, he wouldn't bite a soul...I still did
not let anyone around his mouth.  But, when fingers and little inquisitive
minds do not want to listen, I simply say, "you are SCARING him and he may
BITE".....I emphasize these two words..and for some reason it seems to work
because these are two words that children understand.  Perhaps this is not
the right approach to ferret education, but I do not want Sammie subjected
to something he is uncomfortable with either.  Normally after these words
are said, the children back off and begin to ask me questions.  It is then
that I go into all the wonderful things that my fuzzies do, what wonderful
pets they make, etc.

If, for some reason, this does not work, I tend to get a bit irritable and
with a firm voice I would use on my daughter, say "STOP IT!!!!!!!!", scoop
him up and not let them anywhere near him.

I spoke with 5 parents who knew nothing about fuzzies and one that after
speaking with me, reinforced her ideas of wanting one (a ferret, not more
children) and wanting to learn more about them to be able to eventually own
one of her own.

Children tend to be a bit persistent.  And with this, I am lucky.  Having a
knowledgable 7 year old, she backs me up!  :) If they don't listen to *me*,
then they will listen to HER!

p.s.  If I were a "newbie" coming to this list during a mf debate, I'd
be afraid......

karen&manna&thesixfuzziewuzzies