From:
Sukie Crandall Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 12:41:56 -0500
Okay, first off, if you check w ferret expert veterinary pathologists
including Dr. Bruce Williams, or read their past posts in archives you
will learn that ferrets don't get colds.

They DO get more serious things which can look like colds such as
bacterial sinus infections, influenza, pneumonia, pleurisy, etc.

I do want to ask if this ferret is up to date on Canine Distemper
vaccines, and if there are any other signs which can point to that
as a possibility.

Has the ferret's chest been imaged?

Has the nasal discharge been cultured and checked for antibiotic
resistance?

Have the sinuses been scoped?

A ferret can be close to death with pleurisy and pneumonia and yet
have just a tiny on and off cough and sound normal when the chest is
listened to. We have personally had one who did exactly that. If she
hadn't had her chest imaged and them rapid multi-antibiotic care she
never would have lived past a few days more.

Be very careful with the syringe feedings to avoid aspiration
pneumonia. You work at a vet's hospital so I think you know that, but
some other people reading this may not.

Theh sub-q for hydration is an excellent move.

Sukie (not a vet)
Reminder:  THE FERRET HEALTH LIST IS MOVING.
To join, click on the joining link at

directions.

OR just send a blank mail to the automated joining address:

[log in to unmask] and then follow the directions.

Recommended ferret health links: