From:
SHAMROCK MCNEILL <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 23:36:11 -0600
As requested, here is the update on Toby...  we've been so busy playing and
getting him acclimated, we haven't had time to write.

First off, Toby is absolutely gorgeous!  He has a beautiful head and a
nicely proportioned body, and is very large.  I think i like canadian
stock...  He is very people friendly, and likes to snuggle and give kisses.

We drove to Ft Worth to pick him up the day after he was offered on the FML.
I took my two most mellow fellows with me, as Toby had not been around other
ferrets since six weeks of age.  Frosty and Sebastian tumbled out of the
carrier full of beans after sleeping for the four hour trip, immediately
terrifying Toby, who had been awakened from a deep sleep.  Poor Toby went
and hid under the bed while my guys explored his house :P.

After he woke up a bit, Toby was a bit more open to ferret contact, but we
had a long trip home and didn't have much more time to socialize.  The guys
went back in the carrier and Toby slept on a friend's shoulder all the way
home.

Once home, i hustled all my guys (up to 12 by this time) into their cages
and turned Toby loose to explore.  He played with the cat, sniffed the dog,
ate two pieces of dog food, explored several litter boxes and then
disappeared.  We later found him curled up in my hubby's sweat drawer
asleep.  Toby has since abdicated his cage in favor of softer sleeping
quarters...  he has not seen the inside of a cage in a week, and is very
good about hopping into the bathroom litter box when necessary.

Toby was at first very intimidated by the other ferrets... strange, as he
took to my rather large dog immediately.  Sebastian, who is normally very
laid back, tracked Toby into his drawer the second day home and woke him
from a deep sleep (ever hear a ferret shriek?  not a pleasant sound).  I
think Sebby needed to feel dominant over _someone_!

The good news is this... Toby has settled in nicely, and while still rather
wary of Sebastian, he has made friends with Frosty and the girls (all
smaller than him) and actually grabbed Franklin (who is huge!) by the scruff
and dragged him into the closet.  I think he likes being one of the gang,
but Frosty isn't happy...  he only gets to go in the car 1/3 of the time
now...  *grin*

val

                       "Shamrock"
[log in to unmask]        Valeriane Luke McNeill
Biology major/CS minor          Marine Biology/Zoology