From:
Carol Vee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 1998 17:49:27 EST
My ferrets sleep in a dark room at night between the hours of 10:30 PM -
6:30 AM.  The rest of the day they have free roam in my home.  They play
maybe two to three hours a day and sleep the rest of the time.  All four of
my ferrets sleep in a dresser drawer during the day.  It has to be totally
dark in the drawer.  I also find them under the sheets and sweatshirts I
have in the drawers for them.  Could this be their way of trying to bury
themselves in a hole, as if they were in the wild?  When counting the hours
the ferrets need in total darkness, could this be counted?

Sukie, does Judy Bell touch on the subject of free roam ferrets?  Or just
caged ferrets?  Is she saying a ferret needs to have total darkness during
the peak time of 2-3 in the morning?  I think I can make the room totally
dark at night.  I will try anything within reason to stop the chance of
adrenal.  I have fortunately never had to deal with the disease.  Does Judy
Bell have any statistics to go with the theory of darkness, melotonin,
adrenal and ferrets?

I hope to read more about this issue.  It seems a simple solution to a
major problem in ferrets!

Carol Voivedich
Oscar Ferret (Dreaming of Easy Off)
Bailey Boy (My mom says I looks just as good as Oscar)
Elle (dark eyes, 1.2 pounds, light skin sable, any takers)
Sweet Lilly (Oscar sure is acting funny, he better not be stealing my
Cheerios)