From:
Robert and Monica Tittle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:55:34 -0600
Ok, I've reached my limit with this little quirk of the list.  The first
copy of digest #2569 freaked Eudora out.  This happens occationally, it's a
pain in the butt, but hey I like the list.  I close down Eudora and restart
my computer (this is necessary because *nothing* works after one of those
"nasty" digests), delete the original and send the command to get another.
This generally works fine but this time it messes up my system also.  I go
through the process again and guess what, the *third* copy does the exact
same thing!

I have *never* had this problem with any other list in the 7 years I've
been on the net and in that time I've been on plenty of mailing lists.  I
*love* this list and have learned a lot from it, but I just can't put up
with stuff that doesn't work.  Please, for the love of God, fix whatever
problem is causing this before I completely lose my mind!

Monica L. Tittle

Run Liddy, run!

[Moderator's note: Certainly sounds frustrating.  But, umm, issue 2569
would be this current issue, that wasn't out yet when you wrote your note.
One other person also using Eudora 3.0.5 complained about issue #2562
though.  But the problem is not in the digest, it's in Eudora.  The digest
conforms to ALL the applicable standards for email headers and digest
format.  Though if by chance it didn't, I think it's a bit absurd to accept
that ANY email program would crash on bad email and take your computer down
with it.

I have a hunch about what's causing it -- I'm guessing Eudora doesn't like
certain characters (like colons) to begin a line.  I've reformmated issue
2562 to avoid that.  Might be worth a try.  Other things to try are to get
the digest in MIME format (I can set that for you) or to ask for it in
pieces (e.g. GET FERRET 2562 SPLIT=25 will get it in chunks of 25,000
characters).  Or, better yet, use a later version of Eudora (though, yes,
I know there is not yet a freeware version past 3.0.6).  BIG]