From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Oct 1999 15:40:45 EDT
[Re:] Jerry Jackowski...
Jerry:

I completely agree with you that the acoustics are not great there.  Last
year I was a steward for one of the judges and could barely hear her
comments...had to listen very closely.  I missed one of my own ferret's
number being called back the first two times, but did finally get him up
there.  Luckily, I might add, as he got a first and second place ribbon!
I never did hear one of my other ferret's number being called.  I found
out months later that she had won a ribbon.

As to your second, and very "on target" constructive criticism...about
finding a place where the time constraints are not so strict, in all
fairness I would like to say that it's very possible that the show would
have been able to finish inside, and on time, had the judges taken their
rings when they were first asked to.  I don't know if you were there for
the beginning of the show, but the announcer requested that the judges
begin judging at least 3 times that I, personally, heard, over a period
of at minimum, 1/2 hour.  It may easily have been longer.  The judges are
aware of the time constraints, yet they stand around and talk and ignore
repeated requests to begin judging on time...or even close to on time.
While I do, of course, appreciate the judges' hard work and the time they
put in, I, personally, found it frustrating to know we had to be out at a
certain time, yet see the judges ignoring requests to take their rings.
This same thing happened last year.  I'm sure they have to feel extremely
"rushed" judging the last groups of ferrets.  This brings *me* to my
criticisms.

First, I felt the judging was very inconsistent between judges this year.
My ferrets were judged toward the end of the show so maybe the "pressure"
of having to be out was the reason, but these are comments from the three
judges about, first, one of my boys:

Ring #1 - Good shoulders & muscles; nice coat
Ring #2 - Solid boy; nice color
Ring #3 - Overweight; sweet boy

Well, was he solid and muscular or was he overweight?  I have to assume the
judges ARE judging by the same standards...at least hopefully?  We ferret
"owners" (and I use that term loosely, as well all know they own us!) will,
hopefully, learn from the judges' comments and try to do better.  In this
case...I'm not sure which judge to believe to "better" my little guy.
(Personally, I adore him just the way he is, but...)

Next about one of my girls:

Ring #1 - Nice petite girl; nice coat...
Ring #2 - Nice girl; a little pudgy
Ring #3 - Well proportioned

O.K.  Is she petite?  Pudgy?  Well proportioned?  I mean...if I would like
her to do better next year, which judge do I believe?  Somehow, I don't
think she can be petite, pudgy and well proportioned, all at the same time.
If I believe Judge #2, and get her to trim down, will Judge #1 think she is
much too thin next year?  Will Judge #3 think she is a little too thin next
year?

Yes...I do understand that it's only a show but, believe it or not, we work
very hard ALL YEAR to have our ferrets in the best condition possible for
this show.  Comments like these are disheartening and make you wonder why
you bother.  Please understand that I am NOT a frustrated wannabe ribbon
winner.  One of my kids did get ribbons in all 3 rings...a first, a second
and a seventh.  Another took a tenth in one ring.

Second, my son overheard one of the judges say something to the effect that
he/she saw "maybe" 3 decent ferrets all day, the others were Pfffttt!  In
my opinion, this was a very, very unprofessional thing to say within
hearing of anyone other than another judge.  I believe we had the same
problem last year and the year before...judges making comments that were
highly unprofessional where all and sundry could hear.

I have one more criticism, but I have written a formal complaint to the AFA
and, in all fairness, will wait for their reply before posting anything
here.

Judy

P.S.  As always, I think Deb and the GCFA group did an AWESOME job.  I had
visitors come in from all over the country who were very impressed with the
entire show...with the exception of some of the judging.  Lil Will E did an
ASTOUNDING job on the quilt...the shelter took in mega $$$ due to her hard
work and the donations of the quilt squares.  Thanks Lil Will E!!!!