From:
Christina Stephens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Aug 2004 00:42:33 -0700
Hi!  This is my first post, and I must comment positively on the use of
lavender to scent your ferrets.  I have been using the Ferrets Finest
products by Veterinarian's Best, both the herbal mist and the ear
cleansing solution.  I also use lavander baby shampoo made by Equate to
bathe them.  The herbal mist and the ear cleaning solution both contain
Lavander, among other things (D'limonene, micronized oatmeal, tea tree
oil, aloe vera, chamomile and lavender are the ingredients in the herbal
mist, for example) I also added three extra drops of lavender to the
herbal mist, simply because I have grown to like the scent.

I switched to the herbal ear cleaning solution because I found that most
other ear cleansers for ferrets had a rather offensive odor to me, even
more offensive the the smell of dirty ferret ears.  I think both products
are wonderful.

I would not put pure lavender oil on your ferret, though.  While it is
said that lavender oil can be applied topically to the skin without
dilution, one drop of lavender goes a long way!  However you could dilute
it with mineral oil and then apply it to your ferret.  I have not tried
this method myself, but I have rubbed a bit of baby oil into their fur
after a bath (a tecnique reccomended by a veterinarian to me), the
thought being that it would somewhat replace the oils that had been lost
during the bath.  It seems to work very well.

So at the very least I can voice that ferret products are out there which
contain Lavender, and I have used them with good results.  The ferrets do
not seem to mind, either.

-Chrissy