From:
Urban Fredriksson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Dec 1994 18:19:37 MET
I think we discussed if the "feral ferrets" on some islands
outside Italy and the British Isles were ferrets or
polecat-ferret hybrids.

The book _D{ggdjur, Alla Europas arter_, 1985, (Mammals, all
European species) by Anders Bj{rvall says quite clearly that they
are hybrids.

Unless you count the mink (which used to be called American
river-polecat in Sweden), the book only lists four European
polecats, so I guess that means I don't have to be sorry I can
never remember the Latin name for the Mediterranean polecat.

It says that the origin of the ferret is unclear, and that it
sometimes is considered a species, M. furo, sometimes a
subspecies, either M. putorius furo or M. eversmanni furo.
--
 Urban Fredriksson  [log in to unmask]  Pictures of my four ferrets:
 http://www.ki.icl.se/urf/urf_ferr.htm or ftp.sunet.se /pub/pictures/animals