From:
Liz Tveite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:35:23 EST
I just wanted to pass on some information about the foods that we use in
our shelter.  We are constantly looking for new and better foods and
welcome any thoughts.

The three foods we use in the "shelter mix" are: (I will list the first 7
ingred for each, plus nutrition percentages that are available)

Dick VanPatten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium Cat Food 1-800-829-4493
- Chicken, Chicken Meal, Brown Rice, Duck, Lamb Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat
- Protein 34% min, Fat 18% min, Fiber 3% max, Ash 6.5% max,
  Taurine .16% min

Innova Cat Food 1-800-532-7261
- Turkey, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Whole Steamed Potatoes, Whole Eggs,
  Whole Ground Barley, Chicken Fat
- Protein 36% min, Fat 20% min, Fiber 2.5% max, Ash 6% max

Felidae Cat & Kitten Formula          1-800-398-1600
- Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, Menhaden
  Fish Meal, Eggs
- Protein 32% min, Fat 20% min, Fiber 2.5% max, Ash 5.5% max,
  Taurine .20% min

These are 2 ferret foods I am comparing the above to: (we don't use these)

8 in 1 Ultra-Blend Select
- Chicken Meal, Ground Yellow Corn, Brewers Rice, Corn Gluten Meal, Animal
  Fat Corn, Oil, Dried Eggs
- Protein 35% min, Fat 15% min, Fiber 3% max, Ash 6.5% max,
  Taurine .15% min

Totally Ferret
- Chicken By-Product Meal, Rice Flour, Egg Product, Chicken Fat, Poultry
  Fat, Wheat Flour, Corn Meal
- Protein 36% min, Fat 22% min, Fiber 1.5% max, Taurine .25% min

Please remember that you should AVOID BY-PRODUCTS.  This means it can be
made from tissue of dead, diseased, dying or disabled animals.  Consists
mainly of hooves, hair, hide, beaks, feet, feathers, urine, fecal matter.

I have also read that Ethoxyquin, BHT & BHA are preservatives that should
be avoided.  We noticed that Mazuri had Ethoxyquin listed in the
ingredients and did not use that food (had been donated).

We have found the "shelter mix" to be very nutritious plus less expensive.
I have included the toll free numbers in case you are interested in
finding a feed store that sells it near you.

Liz T
 ... in the Company of Ferrets
Minnesota