From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2000 21:23:03 -0500
Dear Himberger Gerri:

>I need to know about heartworm in ferrets.  We live in Colorado Springs,
>and keep the dogs on meds for the summer, but October is the last month
>given.  I have no idea about heartworm meds for ferrets, or what the dose
>would be, or even how to give it- the dogs take chewables....

Ferrets get heartworms just like dogs, and it is more serious for a ferret
to have heartworms than a dog, because it only takes a couple to kill a
ferret.  Ferrets can take chewables too - but you need the chewables that
are designed for cats up to 5 lbs (55 mcg ivermectin).  Give them to
ferrets during the same months that you do your dogs.  Me, I'm a year-round
guy - but if your vet has a good handle on the mosquito season - and it is
fairly constant - you can give the medication only part of the year.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM