From:
International Ferret Congress <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 20:22:55 -0400
Dear Ferret Friends:

We am writing you today with an update on the progress of ferret specific
regulations within the USDA.  Last year we asked the ferret community to
write the USDA during the comment period with their thoughts and ideas
about requiring ferret specific regulations -- such as requiring a
minimum of 8 weeks of age be obtained prior to shipping as evidenced by
the presence of adult canine teeth; requiring that ferrets be maintained
at a comfortable temperature; and allowing for the special needs of
ferrets for social bonds, contact, and mental stimulation.

Your voices were heard loud and clear -- with thousands of letters
pouring into the USDA, almost all voicing support for ferret specific
regulations.

But now we have a problem, and we need your support again.

The USDA is trying to bypass the clear mandate that you, the citizens of
the United States, provided them!  They are putting the ferret specific
regulations on the back burner in favor of something else -- lumping the
ferrets into a regulation providing for ALL WARM BLOODED MAMMALS not to
be shipped prior to 8 weeks.  That means that yes, ferrets won't be
shipped until 8 weeks of age, but how will that be verified without
dental eruption requirements?  We've all seen ferret health certificates
with the wrong age marked.  There will be no provision for keeping these
ferret babies comfortably cool.  Or trying to keep family groups housed
together.  Or even standardizing the types of cages and feeding schedules
maintained by the ferret farms!  Worse yet -- why would they think the
needs of ferrets would be similar to guinea pigs (who are able to breed
by 3 weeks of age?) or elephants, or tigers, or lions?  This is a
shortcut that simply won't work.

A more acceptable compromise to ferret specific regulations would be to
"lump" the ferrets in with the very specific regulations already in place
for dogs and cats.  At least this keeps some similar species together.

However, the current line of reasoning of the USDA is simply unacceptable
and unreasonable.

PLEASE TAKE A FEW MINUTES AND LET THEM KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!  A MEETING
IS SCHEDULED MID-AUGUST TO MAKE A DECISION ON THIS PROPOSAL!

The contact information listed below is the direct line to the supervisor
of this project.  He alone will not be making the decision, but will be
able to provide influence and insight at the meeting.  Please call,
email, and let him know that ferrets need specific regulations, and
lumping them into a general "8 week rule" is simply not acceptable to
the ferret community.

Please also remember that this is a government office -- and they are
dealing with many issues beyond ferrets.  BE PERSISTENT, BUT POLITE!
Leave detailed messages and send detailed emails.  If they hear from
enough of us in person -- it has to make a difference.  We pay their
salaries, they need to listen to our opinions -- and we won't be
ignored!

TODAY -- PLEASE CALL!
Dr. Chester Gipson
301-734-4980
AND EMAIL!

Thanks for your time -- for all the fuzzies in your life, the past, and
the future.

NOTE: Please feel free to forward this message to other lists, blogs,
websites, club meetings, or anywhere else ferret lovers may see it.  It
is essential to act quickly and politely!