From:
Dee Race <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Feb 1999 15:07:31 EST
Funny that the HSUS EXPO and an article in the 2/16 Woman's Day should
coincide.  #1, I never read Woman's Day.  A co-worker who is also a ferret
mom of 3 brought it to my attention.  She was livid.  Page 136 has an
article entitled "Your Child's Health" by Dr. Loraine Stern gives a "what
you should know" about kids and pets.  She is a pediatrician in private
practice in the LA area.

"The Humane Society of the U.S.  warns that ferrets can bite unpredictably
and sometimes viciously." BOOM !  !  !  !  !  Here we are again.  The word
"can" was chosen carefully so as not to offend, I'm sure.  CYA tactic.

You can take this one of two ways: although the HSUS did change their
consideration of ferrets as pets (reluctantly, I sure, just as Michigan
State Health Depts.  did when the 1998 Compendium came out), they are still
taking a negative ferret attitude whenever possible while hypocritically
allowing representation by the ferret community at the EXPO ..... OR .....
gee, I can't think of a positive reason.

Sorry, but I just spent a totally rewarding ferret weekend in Traverse City
(Michigan).  GLFA sponsored a Fun Match at Petsmart; and June Wolf, Dave
Weill and I spent over 3 hours with approximately 20 ferrets and their
folks playing games.  The Record Eagle sent a reporter and a photographer
to cover the event, too.  The reporter asked me what the main question is
about ferrets and I responded "I hear they bite." which I fended off by
saying point blank "Yes, they bite.  So do cats and dogs.  The chances of
being bitten by a cat and dog are far greater than being bitten by a
ferret." I felt I had made a point.  Then I come home and read it again in
a national magazine.  Damn.

Take care
Dee
Beau & Nilla

p.s.
People who are to be feared are those who know the truth and defend the
truth they know ... and not those of us who engage in the eternal search
for truth (e.g.  California DF&G, PETA, HSUS, Jack Hannah, Sierra Club,
Audubon Society, and any other short-sighted, narrow-minded entity I may
have overlooked).