Date:
Sat, 27 Sep 2003 08:30:37 -0700
A few posts back someone mentioned having a ferret they needed to decide
about leg amputation or saving it with medical treatment.  Although I am
a little late, I would like to add my thoughts to the discussion.  (BIG,
sorry I can't remember the original poster or I would respond privately.)
[No problem -- your input is valuable to everyone.  BIG]

The question was to amputate or not.  In the past I have had several pets
with 3 legs.  I know of others who have also lost legs.  Today I heard of
a 3-legged goat while listening to Car Talk!  In NO instance does it ever
seem to bother the animal.  The only one who may be bothered is the owner.

The truth is that in life we sometimes must make hard decisions.
Sometimes the decision must be, do I provide what I can afford or nothing
because someone thinks my choice is cruel?  In a perfect world we might
always be able to do what is the *ideal.* In a real world, we do the best
we can with what we have.

I have a ferret emergency fund.  However, I have not always had one.
Sometimes the choice is, do I spend $1000 for a surgery that may not
improve the quality of life or prolong it or do I get medical treatment
for 4 who need it and who may have an outcome that is less than what they
would get with surgical treatment - but I can't afford surgical treatment
for 4, only one - and who do I choose?  It is a vicious circle sometimes.

Some people would say, why do you have the 4 if you don't have the funds
to care for them?  Would you prefer I left them to die in the box on the
side of the road?

You might have children who also need your money.  Your family might be
going through an extremely hard time.  Nobody knows your circumstances.
The very fact that youo seek advice says you want to do what is best for
this little guy.

So, you do the best you can with what you have AT THIS TIME.  In the
past or in the future your final decision might be influenced by the
circumstances.  Right now you may not be as financially able to do what
was done in the past.  You may have better circumstances in the future.
Do you wait and hope the ferret is okay till then?  No.

If I was a ferret and someone loved me enough to care for me, I don't
think I would care how many legs I have.  Take the step you choose and
don't look back.  Only YOU know what is best for you right now.

renee :) &

The Poop-in-the-Corner Gang: Shadow, Oscar, Sir Walter, Dodger & Maggie
Mae (all dumped or lost)
Two Little S****: Poquito & Chica and more to come in Atlanta!