From:
Bob Rudich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 May 1996 11:17:00 EDT
We went up to NH this long weekend, where people live free, to get some
young kits from a pet store.  Thankfully only an hour away from the small
minds of MA they can be had.  We got 2 of the greatest MF kits ever.  A 7 wk
female that is almost all black and a 12 wk male dark sable.  They began
using their cage litterpan right off and know the concept of the gentle
touch and release play bite without fail.  Springer, the male, seems to want
to spend as much of his life as possible 1 foot off the floor.  Carlee, the
black smudge, is just so cute with her baby movements as she "attacks" the
other ferrets.  Both are tail thumpers in the clear tunnel of battle.  The
war dancing gets them all het up I'd guess.  It's been 3 years since we last
had a young kit and we had forgotten how delightful they are.  Older ferrets
are great, but kits are off the scale!

Springer presented me the following MF Manifesto:

               Ten Things a Ferret Asks of It's People

1. My life is likely to last 6-9 years.  Any separation from you
   will be painful for me.   Remember that before you buy me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me -- it is crucial for my well being.

4. Don't be angry at me for long, and don't lock me up as punishment.  You
   have your work, your entertainment, and your friends.  I have only you
   and your toes.

5. Talk to me sometimes.  Even if I do not understand your words, I
   understand your voice when you are speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you trust me, I will never forget it.

7. Remember before you punish me that I have jaws that could easily crush
   the bones of your hand, but I have chosen not to bite you that hard.

8. Before you scold me for being "uncooperative", "obstinate", or "sad",
   ask yourself if something might be bothering me.  Perhaps I am not
   getting the right attention or I'm sick.

9. Take care of me when I get old; you too will grow old.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys.  Never say, "I can't bear to watch
    it" or "Let it happen in my absence." Please never say, "Let the vet do
    it."  Everything is easier for me if you are there.

Nobody could give these kits a richer environment for their mental
development than we provide.  I'm much more concerned about this than
interrupting their weaning, for their future compatibility and capability.
Mental challenges at a young age have a dramatic effect in later life (yes,
there are ample references).  The difference in a 7 wk kit and a 12 wk kit
in the cuteness quotient is dramatic and should not be reserved for breeders
only.  I revel in Carlee's new discoveries almost as much as she does.  To
paraphrase Fred Sanford, "she's walking, she's walking." That's all she has
to do to get us going.

>While ferrets are probably the best pets in the whole world, there is a lot
>of work and responsibility to properly maintain them.  Before you even
>bring a ferret into your home, you must be sure to read as much literature
>as possible ... You must also completely "ferret proof" your home so that
>your little critters will be safe from harm.

After reading this, I wanted to give up my ferrets after 9 years and take
up a sane hobby like collecting nuclear and toxic wastes.  Audrey &
Shawna-Lynn, there is plenty of time to learn about ferret ills, enjoy them
1st.  As far as ferret proofing, any ferret you get will teach you more
about this than you could ever hope to figure out alone.  Keep a good eye
and open mind on your ferrets and they will tell you what you need to do.
Books are nice, but learn to fish instead of depending on others to give
them to you (that's what the "expert" authors often do).  Owning ferrets is
a constant path of mutual discovery and that is what life is about.
Ferrets and life are only a chore if that is what you choose to make of
them.  Ferrets aren't stressed out about what the future holds and there is
no need for you to be either.  Seek it out like the ferret.  Go forth
boldly into the unknown.  You'll be happier for it.

Pet store kits rule!   Blasphemy on this list, but I commit it with joy.

   ( )--(a)
   (@=@=) \     Till next time.......Rudy the ferlosopher
      \   \
      /\ * )  \