From:
"Scott B. Maitland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 Nov 1995 10:58:00 EST
Well it happened again...after losing Hannah a while back I vowed I wouldn't
get another ferret.  Holly has been going on with things and spends more
time sleeping than ever.  Then we saw this little "black bear cub" in the
pet store.  Talk about a riot!  He doesn't bite (ok, the usual toe fetish
but that's instinct, no?), and likes to cuddle..and ..and

We hope you'll join us in welcoming Tucker!!  So far, Holly has been doing
her part to introduce him to the household (what a dominant little wench!)
but he is doing great.

Couple questions...he was listed as a sable but I can't remember if there is
a true "Chocolate" color?  His face and body past the front shoulders, and
his hind end, and almost black!  He does have a white mask but that's about
the only lighter area.  His back behind the shoulders is a bit lighter but
still very dark.  Could someone provide a list of "approved" colors?  Does
this exist?

Does anyone have any tricks that work for introducing new members to a
dominant one?  I've done this 3 times now and it has only gone smoothly
once!  Holly really gets an attitude.  So far she has nailed Tucker twice
and dragged him around, but she has also turned tail and hid a few times.
They are in separate cages from now until I can have a few more
socialization lessons.

One last question concerning food: are the ferret chows much better than
high quality cat food?  I've read what I can find on this and would like
to hear opinions from those with more experience...I've only been at this
game since 1987 (addicting isn't it?).

Haven't developed any nicknames yet but I'm sure they'll follow soon.

                               Scott

BTW, Tucker is 3 for 4 on the kitchen litter box..maybe he could teach Holly
a trick or two.