From:
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:42:53 -0800
>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: colloidal silver; use your vet's expertise

>Debate will NOT "SOLVE" anything.

I disagree.  Debate will educate all with open minds.  Education is the
key to understanding.  Through this debate I hope others will read what
the various viewpoints are.  With that education they can then 'solve'
for themselves whether to try or not colloidal silver.

>DO WHAT YOUR (repeat: YOUR) VET RECOMMENDS.

Again I disagree.  Just because some given vet recommends something does
NOT mean I will go with it.  An educated patient (or patient owner) will
certainly be willing to question the treatments proposed by their doctor
(or vet).  We have read in this forum of numerous vets that do some
particular things and the response is often an informed "get a new vet".
Way too many cases of ill informed vets, unfortunately.

I'm not sure that answers to your proposed survey will be at all
meaningful.  Especially given that the most common use of colloidal silver
based on discussion here is in a homebrewed 'potion' such as Timmy's Tonic
that has far too many other substances to make real sense of the results.
Those that are proponents of using colloidal silver are unfortunately
already those that are choosing to ignore all signs from science.  That
makes it very suspect that their input will have any accuracy in even a
'non-scientific' poll.  Way too emotional a topic.  Sorry.  Just the way I
see it.

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Please, respect any experimental medication no matter what the
>         source

>Because someone else posted that in that person's case colloidal silver
>would not be tried even as a last resort, I just had to note that we
>probably would try it as a last resort IF other things had already failed

Not me.  Some folks recommend all kinds of stupid things as experimental
medicine.  Poison is not an experimental medicine.  Iodine is used as a
topical antiseptic but there is no way I would pour it down my ferrets
throat because someone that to all appearances seems a crackpot has
convinced others that it is an 'experimental medicine'.

Colloidal silver is NOT and experimental medicine, it is an old fashioned
'patent medicine'.  Colloidal silver has basically failed all tests as an
internal medicine.  Its a rejected medicine not an experimental one.

-bill

--
bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets