From:
Northern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:03:13 -0700
My boy, Bruno had his spleen removed today.  This morning when I let him
out of his cage he ran to the corner of the room and guess what he tried
to do.  But nothing came out but he would not stop pushing.

I had suspected that he was going adrenal about a month ago and took him
to the vet then.  His spleen was enlarged then but I didn t think much
about it and neither did the vet.  Bruno is an older weasel and the way
I understand it enlarged spleens are common.  His blood work was almost
perfect but he was a tad anemic, which I blamed on myself.  Really hard
to deny that guy some raisins

I had trouble finding a vet this morning.  My regular vet office did not
have a ferret Doc there today.  So I called the Ferret s Den a local
shelter in my area and the wonderful lady gave me the names to a couple
of places that handle ferrets.

At first the vet there thought that maybe his prostate was blocking his
bladder or that he had an intestinal blockage but the x-rays looked
normal except for the spleen.  So I elected to have surgery for him.

Well the surgery went well.  The prostate and adrenal glands were normal
but the spleen had some nodules on the under side of it that did not look
good.  So the spleen was removed and tissue samples of everything else
was taken for histology.

I get to pick him up tomorrow.  I will be speaking to the vet tomorrow
but is there any thing I should know about that I could do help Bruno s
recovery along?  Will he need iron supplements?  Any info that can be
given would be great.  I get this mailer on digest format every 24 hours
or about.  You can email directly at [log in to unmask] or I'll catch
it in a digest or 2.

Thanks!
Northern