From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 1996 20:25:06 -0500
So, I hear you people south of the border have had a wee bit of snow.
Welcome to the snow belt!  <Snicker - snort!> Sorry - that wasn't nice but
after years of hearing about Manifest Destiny, it's sort of ironic that the
gov't down there had to shut down.  I guess we're safe from take-overs till
you've got weather control!  If it makes you feel better, we people used to
driving and living with snow like watching people in Vancouver try to drive
in the stuff to!  The best bet is to make sure you've got food, water, and
wood (if you have a fireplace), and if possible someone to talk to.  Ferrets
are cute, but let's face it - they aren't great at English (or French for
that matter!)

BTW - If you've got that much snow, keep an eye on your roofs.  Flat
roof+heavy snow+building codes for low snow areas ~ roof in basement!  You
may need to shovel, or hire someone to shovel if you're not comfortable with
it (I'm not!)

BTW Also - A note on cars from someone with a 200,000 mile+ car!  - If
you've got cold temperatures (-10C or below), leave your car till the sun
can warm it up then lift up the hood and tuck an old blanket over the block
after the sun goes down or moves out of range (remember to remove the
blanket before starting - leave a big flap out the wind-shield side to
remind you!).  This will also help cut wind cooling the block.  Snow will
insulate the car from both heat AND cold, so you may want to clean off the
sides, hood, and the roof and pile it up to cut drafts from below.
Hopefully you'll never have to know about block heaters!

However, on to other things!

BATHS: Monster got her first bath in who knows how long!  I know she's about
4 years old, and I got her (she got me?) in October.  She was PATHETIC!!!!!
She does nip quite a bit, but she didn't even try to bite!  She looked at me
like I was killing her.  When we finished she went NUTS!  After reading
about Amber and Bear and the 'Sliding Slugs' on the towels, I don't feel
quite so bad.  When we finished, she stayed in her cage all day (~7 hours)
except the one time she came out and 'saluted' the tub!  However, she looks
better, her coat feels better, and she smells better.  I guess we'll
compromise at 3 month intervals for now.

MORE ON SNOW: We haven't tried snow-snorklin yet, though we certainly have
enough!  Unfortunely, it's illegal to be a ferret in London Ontario
(something I found out after I got her!  Remind me not to move to
California).  Besides, Monster considers her harness some sort of medeival
torture device, at least a 3 raison indignity.

FOOD:  What's with the food issue - I'm feeding Iams Adult Cat (orange bag).
There are no ferret foods available here, and I wasn't please with what she
was eating when I got her (Grocery store junk).  Any suggestions, stuff I
can buy by mail or get my vet to order?

Good luck with the weather and happy snorkling for those of you who will
wear your harnesses!

Megan and Monster!

** Monster - "NOBATHNOBATHNOBATHNOBATH"