From:
Jackie Hawley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 16:58:00 -0500
We brought Ben home Monday.  Wish I could say "Yea" and even though I'm so
happy to have him home, I wish the results were better.

The graft had started to deteriorate by Monday morning.  Dr. Pye drew an
excellent diagram of what Dr. Bennett had done for Ben, what's happened
now and what can be done for him in a month of so.  They felt he was very
depressed and would do better in a home environment.  Had email from Dr.
Bennett this morning and he said the next surgery should be much easier and
quicker and even if Ben is left with a small hole, Ben is still better off
than having the huge one.

The feeding tube seems to be bothering him quite a bit but he should adjust
to it pretty soon.  Feedings have been much easier than I expected, he just
lies in my lap, then has the urge to rub and clean his chin on his bedding
after the feedings.  He bushes his tail while rubbing and I suspect it's
still uncomfortable when the tube moves but it's so good to see him doing
"normal" ferret things.

So far, Ben sleeps all the time except when I wake him to feed and cuddle
him.  This morning his eyes were a little brighter and he seemed more alert
so I'll be giving him some out time in the bathroom this afternoon.  I
finally got a look at the reconstruction today when he gave a big yawn and
the hole is open more than I expected.  :( We did get a good picture of the
feeding tube and one with his beautiful nurse, Katrina, who has 5 ferrets
of her own.  She fell in love with Ben and we're so grateful Ben had a
"ferret Mom" for his nurse AND she's a FML'R!  Thanks so very much,
Katrina, for taking such wonderful care of our Ben.  New pictures should
be up by the weekend.  http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/ben.htm

Thanks to Margie Szelmeczeka and her friend BJ for the very beautiful
sleep sacks and maze that are on auction on eBay!  It's incredible the
amount already bid  for these items.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=248492119

More thanks.  To Carol and Don Muttillo for picking Ben up the evening he
was surrendered to me.  I have a difficulty driving at night and *nothing*
was convenient for his previous owner to meet me until after dark.

Certainly not least, Barbara Ludt, for taking Ben in to Dr. Kemmerer for
his initial vet visit and on to Dr. Bennett.  Barbara's shelter is handling
Ben's major expenses for now which I will somehow repay.  THANK YOU,
Barbara!

We've had a few offers of donations which is hugely appreciated.  Donations
may be sent several ways but probably best is to West End Animal Hospital,
103 SW 140th Terrace, Newberry, FL 32669 Phone: 352-332-4357.  Dr. Kemmerer
will be providing Ben's follow-up care until he sees Dr. Bennett again in 4
about a month.

Small Animal Clinic, PO Box 100126, College of Veterinary Medicine,
University of Florida, Gainesville, FL 32610-0126 Phone: 352-392-4700
x4839.

Dr. Kemmerer and the Vet College are set up to take credit cards, Visa and
Master Card.

Or to,  Barbara Ludt, P.O. Box 984, Penney Farms, FL  32709-0984 or me,
Jackie Hawley, 5226 Collins Road, Jacksonville, FL  32244.

Ben still has a long way to go and still needs your good wishes and healing
thoughts.  Thanks so much to so many of you for caring about "our" Ben.
We'll continue to post updates periodically to let you know how he is.

You're all the greatest!
Jackie