From:
Leah Drobel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Nov 2013 08:06:54 -0500
Hi, I have an 8 (or could be 9) year old male ferret that has been on
monthly lupron injection for a few years. In Feb. he got the deslorelin
implant. I did notice his belly was getting bigger in the past 2
months, and his energy level is down. He is still eating, drinking,
urinating and defecating. I took him to the vet on Sat, and he said
he has an enlarged spleen. He did in house labs and everything was in
normal range (which ruled out insulinoma, fortunately). The only thing
that in house does not check for is white blood count. SO....I asked
about putting him back on monthly lupron shots. He gave him lupron
injection (did one that was higher dose of lupron than what he was on
in the past). We are hoping this will help Diesel feel better, and
maybe the spleen may shrink some? The vet said we will know in a month,
as if it is connected to the adrenal gland disease he should start
feeling better. Has anyone else run into this problem with their
ferret? I feel bad, should have taken him to the vet earlier but was
so preoccupied with my 16 1/2 year old cat that was going thru kidney
failure that Diesel got put on the back burner. Let me tell you, it
was a very stressful straining ordeal (sub q fluids, assisted feeding,
etc.) and I ended up losing her anyway.

Leah in NJ