Date:
Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:52:45 -0800
I have a 6 month old ferret that often develops a prolapsed rectum.  He
deficates normally but a few times a week I find him straining to let
out a little more.  In the process he pushes out his rectum, lets out a
little from his anal sac, and often leaves a small bit of feces.  Ithas
never been diahrrea abnd has never been something hard enough he should
be straining to push out.  The irritation usually makes him try again and
again to deficate and he pushes it out more leading to some bleeding and
obvious discomfort.  Trying to apply some antibiotic also makes him
uncomfortable and he continues to try to strain.

He is fully intact so not a surgery issue and in the early stages of rut
but has been doing this since about 3 months.  He is fed a mostly cooked
meat diet with kibble backup.  The Vet checked a fecal stain and found
nothing.  No other idea why he was doing this.  Someone told me it could
be an infected anal gland and it should be expressed but in this state,
I have yet to find a vet familiar with ferret anatomy to try.  Usually
within a rest period it goes back to normal and he is fine for a few
days.

Any ideas on potential causes?  Any help on how to "treat" this when it
occurs?

Thank you

scott