From:
"Joyce Hersh (Miller)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:47:15 -0400
Tank went in for adrenal surgery, and the vet sent the adrenal out for a
biopsy, which came back with a diagnosis of adrenal cortical carcinoma:

MICROSCOPIC FINDINGS: The piece of the left adrenal gland shows marked
disorganization of the normal architecture.  Remnants of the zona
glomerulosa are evident and these cells appear atrophic.  The bulk of the
sample consists of broad sheets of neoplastic round to polyhedral epithelial
cells of the zona fasiculata.  These cells are further subdivided into
smaller trabeculae and cords by delicate fibrovascular septa.  The tumor
cells have round to ovoid to oblong open nuclei with a single nucleolus.
All cells have abundant amounts of eosinophilic cytoplasm.  Mitotic figures
range from 0-3 per 400x field.  In one region, these tumor cells extend
through the capsule to the periadrenal adipose tissue.

DIAGNOSIS:  Adrenal cortical carcinoma.

COMMENT: This animal does have an adrenal tumor and it is derived from the
zona fasiculata.  The tumor is considered malignant.  There is already some
invasion through the adrenal capsule.  I would offer a guarded to poor long
term prognosis.

Tank is a fixed male ferret, about 3-1/2 to 4 years old, and he had always
been healthy up until now.

Any bright ideas on what should be done next, or what I'm in for, or what I
should watch for?  My vet is also checking on this, but on the FML, we have
the advantage of large numbers of cases and vets.

-- Joyce

--- Joyce Miller, [log in to unmask]