Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 17:59:23 -0500
(2 parts due to length)part1  [combined here.  BIG]

>From:    - Z - <[log in to unmask]>
><Distemper is very nasty, and if the vaccine manufacturer won't
>guarantee the effectiveness of the vaccine for longer than a year, then
>a vet won't want to take the risk of your pet contracting distemper, on
>the assumption that the manufacturer understands its own product.

##As you stated later the vaccine mfgs have no reason to test out further
than 1 year, so they don t really understand their own product.  Some
vets have also been quoted as being against changing the annual vac
protocol because of the loss of revenue.  And they probably weren t even
thinking of the loss of revenue from people having to bring their pets in
for vaccine related problems.

>This is most likely not a factor for anyone on the FML, but asking for
>yearly vaccinations may be the only way that some ferret owners will get
>their ferret to the vet's once a year for a checkup.  So that's one
>reason a vet might support annual vaccinations, even apart from the
>factors above.

##This may be true, but maybe they should try and consider the health
benefit of the animal and stress the need for an annual checkup over
annual vaccinations.  At least take each animal on an individual basis
as stated in the Principles of Vaccination approved by the AVMA in April
2001.  ref: http://www.avma.org/policies/vaccination.htm I am amazed that
some vets will follow part of the vaccine mfgs recommendation but not all
of them.  I personally, before I knew better, had a vet assure me that
vaccinating my obviously unhealthy ferret (had adrenal surgery and still
had an enlarged prostate, was still having to hand feed him) would be
fine when the vaccine mfgs clearly state to only vaccinate healthy
animals.  Also have overheard gross negligence by a vet scheduling a
neuter, declaw and vaccinations all at the same time.  Talk about an
assault on the system!

>From:    Deborah Kemmerer DVM
>She asks why people accept these recommendations and don't accept
>"psychic communication:"

## Let me clarify, I am not saying people should believe in AC, just
found it interesting the uproar over that someone may consult with one
but not be concerned about other more important things that do affect all
of our companions and is widely accepted and unproven.

>Although there is some controversy on annual vaccinations in cats
>(specifically Feline Leukemia and Rabies) due to vaccine-related
>sarcomas, the issue is clearly not simple.  There IS evidence for
>annual vaccination; a belief that there is not is based on incomplete
>information.

##Is there anything published on the web, my searches have come up with
nothing.  Nor have any vets I have spoken to been able to point me in the
right direction.

>There are many studies that proposed a link between diseases such as
>AutoImmune Hemolytic Anemia and vaccinations in dogs, but these theories
>have not generally been borne out.  The latest retrospective study
>conclusively demonstrated that there was NOT a link.

##Again is this study published?  What about the other more common
vaccine related problems?  Skin problems, digestive problems, personality
changes, joint/bone disorders, allergies, immune system problems, etc?
These vaccinosis issues do generate additional income for the vet to
treat, although most vets will never admit to a correlation between
the two.

part2
>Although some vaccines have demonstrated an ability to provide good
>immunity for more than a year, many have not.  A recent study (published
>in JAVMA) checked antibody levels in dogs presented for vaccination.
>Most of these dogs were shown not to have immunity for more than a year,
>and the study concluded with a recommendation to continue annual
>vaccination.

#I take it this was a titer study?  Low antibodies in a titer do not
mean the dog has no immunity, it could mean the dog has not been recently
challenged by the disease.  I have not been able to find the one you are
referring to but did find this one Oct 2000:

http://www.electronicipc.com/JournalEZ/detail.cfm?code=04290022170709
which states: Conclusions and Clinical Relevance The high prevalence of
adequate antibody responses (CPV, 95.1%; CDV, 97.6%) in this large
population of dogs suggests that annual revaccination against CPV and CDV
may not be necessary.  (J Am Vet Med Assoc 2000;217:1021 1024) Schultz s
study was challenge and serology and proved (in dogs) that core vaccines
lasted much longer than one year, most were 7 and maybe longer but they
did not test further.  Ref:
http://www.ivis.org/advances/Infect_Dis_Carmichael/schultz/chapter_frm.asp?LA=1

>In California, where many people did stop annual vaccination of dogs due
>to concerns about possible side effects, the incidence of parvovirus
>increased dramatically, resulting in the deaths of a lot of dogs.

##Is this documented somewhere?  A lot also depends on how they were
rearing their dogs.  I believe in natural rearing to give them the best
possible health to allow them to deal with these diseases if they should
come across them naturally.  Build their immunity up, not tear it down.
That brings up something I have wondered about, if we feed our pets
processed food which they were not designed to eat are they better off
being vaccinated because we are making them more susceptible to disease?
We do one thing that harms them so we need to harm them with something
else to possibly protect them from something else?  Round and round we
go, and people wonder why ferrets have a lot of health problems?  I have
thought about a post last year from a shelter I believe that got in a 7
year old ferret that had never been vaccinated, was fed table scraps or
raw food (I don t remember all the particulars) was kept outside with
shelter, and acted like a 2 year old and was very healthy.  I wonder how
old that ferret will be acting a year from now after being vaccinated
and fed kibble?  (no this is not a slam on that shelter, just something
to think about!)

>We have very little data in ferrets to show whether or not annual
>vaccination is truly necessary.  Very few of you ferret owners have
>ever seen what distemper does to an animal, but I have.  Without pretty
>conclusive evidence, I would much rather protect an animal from a
>certain and painful death than not do so out of fear the vaccine may be
>unnecessary.  This is a decision based on the evidence we currently
>have.

##No we don t have any data, but instead of people worrying about AC s
maybe they should be more concerned about improving their ferrets health.
It is not that the vaccine may be unnecessary, but also harmful.  Would
we see less adrenal and other problems if we vaccinated less often?
Would our ferrets have a longer and healthier life span?  Ferrets are
referred to by some people as the pets with all the health problems, I
would like to see if that can be changed.  Would we see a difference if
we vaccinated every 3 years instead of annually?  Actually I would like
every companion animal s health to be bettered.

>That is the difference between accepting vaccination recommendations and
>accepting the existence of any sort of psychic communication.

## If neither is based on solid evidence, what is the difference?  Both
can be harmful depending on how used.  Just one is more accepted than the
other.  At least most of the psychic hotlines and programs come with the
disclaimer they are for entertainment purposes only <g>.

~Amy~

as an aside- this is an interesting link that was sent to a group I
belong to on human vaccines: http://www.whale.to/a/mcbean.html