Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 2009 11:11:30 -0500
I just don't understand why so many folks need to have cages with ramps
and shelves for their ferrets. I stopped using cages with ramps and
shelves over 15 years ago. What do I have now? Ferrets that have enough
upper body muscle and strength to be able to climb and pull and jump
into hammocks that are hung high. Most of my ferrets are in runs that
have hammocks and cubes hung from the top (Martin's custom made
playpens with secure tops). I hang the items far enough away from the
sides so the ferrets can't just climb up and in. Most jump half way up
the side of the pen then jump into the hammock. Others can just reach
the hammock, grab it and pull themselves up and in.

I have a Midwest FN cage and didn't even think about using the ramps
and shelves when I put it together. Right now I have it divided into 2
separate cages but at first I had it as a two level cage. I would hang
a large hammock or sleep cube under the opening to the second floor and
my ferrets had no prob going from one level to the next. Go figure. And
I think they had more fun in the process.

Granted if you have older/debilitated ferrets you would want them to
have easy access to all sections of the cage. That said I wouldn't have
a debilitated ferret in a cage that has ramps and shelves that it could
fall off and get hurt either.

Also with the Midwest FN cage I replaced the flimsy plastic floors with
Midwest dog crate floors (MW8PAN Replacement Pan 36x24w). This one is
much thicker and quieter and only needs to have one side trimmed a bit
for a snug fit. You'll have to use the floor with the cutout in order
to use the cage as a multi-level cage.

Hope that helps!
Vickie

Vickie McKimmey

Just a Business of Ferrets
www.jbferret.com
American Ferret Association
Director of Shows and Special Events
www.ferret.org
Author of Ferrets: An Animal Planet Pet Care Library Series Book