From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 May 2009 16:38:57 -0400
a follow-up note to my rabies post:

Dr. Elizabeth Lawaczek at that same department [AZ Health] wanted me to
point out that while this is NOT casual transmission as with influenza,
ANY strain of rabies can be passed in a some other ways which people
may think of as casual: the licking of a wound, or infected saliva
getting into eyes, for example.

I did wind up notifying the CDC and my own state dept, and heard from
Dr. Faye Sorhage, our NJ leading rabies expert state public health
veterinarian that when she called him about it she learned that that
Dr. Charles Rupprecht, head of the rabies division of the CDC, is also
going to see that the CDC gets Nat Geo to carry a correction, and that
the members of the National Association of State Public Health
Veterinarians are becoming aware of this to stave off any needless
panic.

So, yes, this is an efficient strain, and if I were in that region (AZ
and surroundings, esp the county with the most cases) I'd STRONGLY WANT
TO HAVE PETS UP TO DATE ON RABIES VACCINATIONS, but it does NOT spread
"like the flu".

Here are examples of two INCORRECT statements that need to be
corrected:

Examples:
<http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/05/090504-rabies-evolution.html>
says
>What is unusual is that the strain appears to have mutated so that
>foxes and skunks are now able to pass the virus on to their kin-not
>just through biting and scratching but through simple socializing, as
>humans might spread a flu.

as does a Biomedical site:
http://www.lifesourcebiomedical.com/new-rabies-virus-evolving-quickly/

>Even more concerning is that the disease is spread, not through the
>bite, but through casual contact from one animal to the next (much
>like the current flu virus).

>If people pass them on to you, PLEASE, know better and educate.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links: