From:
Derek & Amy Flemming <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 19:05:50 -0500
>From:    jdmonroe <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Nail Clipping Tips Needed
>I have a ferret who is VERY difficult to clip.  We've tried Ferretone on
>the belly.  She licks the Ferretone just fine, but as soon as we hold her
>paw to keep it steady, she pulls her paw away and runs across the room
>(dripping Ferretone all the way).  If we scruff her, she gets frantic
>about pulling her paw away and wiggles so much that we can't do anything.

Try putting the ferretone bottle in her face when you are clipping - not
just on her belly.  I have ferrets that HATE having the ferretone on thier
bellies.  I am not sure if it is because it is cold, wet or the licking
tickles them!

Usually if it is in thier faces they aren't too concerned about anything
else.  Also, maybe if you get one done without her freaking out, let it be
done!  Give her a treat & let her down.  Then she can see that she doesn't
need to get all worked up.  Try for a few more later.  I suspect that she
has been hurt with the nail clipping one time & she has been "gun shy".  We
had a rescue ferret like that - he would scream when we got near the feet,
but scruffing and ferretone help him understand he was not being hurt.

Amy Flemming
Flemming Farms
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521