From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 23:45:54 -0400
>From:    Matthew Colmer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Diabetic coma and insulinoma
>The reason I am posting to all of you is for assistance or advise without
>visiting a vet.  I have had ferrets for quite some time now, have talked
>with those who have had them, and read enough here to know how to diagnose
>what is wrong with a ferret.  At least I think so.  I just want to make
>sure I am proceeding correctly especially since this episode with Farley
>was far more severe than Osborn every had.  Also, almost 2 yrs ago Farley
>exhibited something abnormal that prompted the lady who was watching them
>to test his blood sugar.  It was quite low, < 60.  Subsequent fasting
>glucose tests put him in the low 70's.  Since that time, Farley never
>exhibited any kind of insulinoma symptom.  Until now.

Matthew, I would like to urge you not to make major treatment decisions
without consulting a vet.  Knowing what the disease is can be helpful, and
being knowledgeable is always good.  In this case, I think you are treating
the symptoms of insulinoma but allowing your ferret to die of the disease
sooner than he would have.  I have had three ferrets with insulinoma, and
all three had surgery which "cured" them for some time.  The vet removed
whatever insulinomas she found on the pancreas and two ferrets regained
their health for a year or two.  You can definitely your ferret's life
with surgery unless he is at risk in some other way.

btw, insulinoma is the opposite of diabetes, and diabetes is extremely rare
in ferrets.  (Thank goodness... I have one of those rare ones and it is
extremely difficult to know how much insulin to give her every day.  Most
diabetic ferrets don't live very long.)

Here's to a long, happy remission for your Farley.

Blessings
Judith