From:
robert sawyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Apr 2000 21:49:07 -0400
Hello Everyone;
I have been receiving FML for sometime and reading all the wonderful
postings.  Did not think that I would ever have to break in or ask any
questions, but the time has come.

Over the last three years I have rescued eight ferrets (I kept two of these
myself), all my other ones were adopted from shelters.

On to my request.  I recently rescued a MF ferret.  She is an albino
female, somewhere between 8 and 81/2 years.  I had her about four days and
took her to my vet for an exam and her vaccinations(the lady that had her,
had not gotten her vaccinations for at least three years).  Every thing was
fine at that time.  The vet said I was very lucky to have a MF ferret that
old.  But now(1 1 /2 months later she is not eating.  She will eat a very
small amount if I hand feed her (I have her on a wet diet for the time
being.  She weighs less than a pound, so she can not afford to lose any
weight.  She still drinks water, plays some, but sleeps alot.  Sometimes
she goes through a short period where she has trouble holding her head up.
We know that she has arthritis, but as far as we know there is nothing else
wrong with her, other than age.  Since this is my first experience with a
very old ferret, I would like some advice on what to expect and how to
handle it.

At this time I have her in a cage by herself.  I have some other ferrets
that are getting older.  But not as old as this little girl.

If anyone has any advice, please send e-mail to [log in to unmask]

Thanks To All