From:
Lucie Darkes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jan 2004 15:59:58 -0500
I think most of us would agree that all of the ferrets who share our
lives with us are special.  But every once in a while, an extra special
one will enter our lives.  Merlin was such a ferret.  We met and fell in
love with him Labor Day weekend in 1995.  A tiny silver boy with large
dark button eyes and a smudged nose; he was the dictionary definition of
cuteness.  Before meeting Merlin, I never would have believed a ferret
could smile, but indeed he did and that smile was reflected in his eyes,
which in the right lighting appeared a very deep blue.  His beauty
carried over into his personality, which was the perfect combination of
exuberant playfulness and affectionate cuddliness.  He was just as likely
to come bouncing into the room with eyes full of excitement beckoning one
of us to play as he was to jump up on the couch and come up to nuzzle my
neck under my hair, particularly on a cold winter night.  He would follow
us around the house, as if to say, "where are you going, what are you
doing?", and would often lay at my feet on his back, looking up at me,
watching with interest as I put on my make-up, washed dishes, or whatever
I happened to be doing.

Merlin made friends everywhere he went.  Family, friends, coworkers and
strangers alike were captured by his charm.  When we traveled with our
ferret kids and had them out on their leashes, people asked to have their
pictures taken with him on a number of occasions.  We had offers from
people wanting to give him a home if we ever wanted to give him up, and
(joking) threats to kidnap him.  He was a special favorite among the
staff at our vet's office during his older years.  While Merlin made
friends easily with the five ferrets who were already part of our family
when he joined us, he did not take as kindly to newcomers joining us
lafter his arrival.  He grudgingly befriended Myst who joined our family
in February 1997 after a couple of months, however had a much more
difficult time when Clarence joined us at Christmas 1999.  He and
Clarence seemed to continue their feud until late 2000 when their older
"siblings" began to pass on.  There came a truce then, with only the
occasional squabble occurring.  2000 proved to be a difficult year for
us, with six of our furry family leaving us.  After Mandrake left us the
week before Christmas that year, I told Merlin to promise he would stay
with us for a long time.  He licked my face in response.

It wasn't long before I noticed him having weakness in his back legs.
He was diagnosed with insulinoma shortly later.  Then came the adrenal
disease.  And cataracts.  In spite of all of this, Merlin's sweet
disposition remained unchanged.  The surgeries, the medications, the
frequent vet visits, the loss of vision and mobility were all taken in
stride.  He even got to be good friends with Clarence, and the two could
often be found curled up sleeping together.  It was a long battle, fought
hard by a little guy who took his promise to me so seriously.  Merlin
left us shortly before 1:00 p.m.  on New Year's Eve, deciding to begin
his New Year in a new place with his old, dear friends.

My dear Merlin, so many times during these last years I thought you were
ready to leave us, only to have you bounce back and share your cuddling
for a while longer.  I started to believe perhaps there was nothing you
couldn't overcome.  I miss you more than I can put into words.  I think
of you now, as you once were bouncing with your brothers and sisters --
Bandit, Gandalf, Jasmine, Aislyn, Mandrake, Myst and Amber -- playing as
you haven't been able to for so long now.  Our original furry family once
again united.  You left such an emptiness here that nothing can fill.
Clarence looks for his napping buddy; Jessie and Sarah miss you as well.
Thank you for staying for Christmas; for keeping your promise to me for
so long.  Merlin, my little Buddy Bear, I will always hold you close in
my heart.  Your magic lives on with us, now and always.  Til we meet
again.

With all my love, Your Mom, Lucie,

Missing you terribly with your Dad, Jack and brother and sisters,
Clarence, Jessie, and Sarah, and your feline friend Binks