From:
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 09:24:38 -0700
>The AFA may do a lot, but what they do seems so far away from me. All
>their activities are all on the east coast.

The events are mostly in the areas of those that do the work.  If you want
events in YOUR area then volunteer to do at least some of the work.  The
main AFA sponsored shows are within access of the people who work on the
show committee.  The same committee is doing the leg work for the vet
symposiums.

>So far the only benefit that I can even take advantage of is a discount
>for the up and coming AVMA seminar. I'm not saying that the AFA owes me
>anything, or my ferrets for that matter.  But even if I were more active
>in the AFA I doubt I or anyone  else, that's not in the Maryland area,
>would hold office.

The newest officer that I am aware of lives in Michighan.  Another was in
Minnesota.  If you WANT to be an officer nominate yourself!  Wher ever you
live.  There are several that I've never met - probably because they aren't
local.

>Basically what I've decided, as I imagine many have, rather than mess
>with the AFA I'll just be as active as I can in my local club. Just my
>thoughts.....

If you want an AFA sanctioned show in your area then perhaps your club
should consider sponsoring a show!  I am aware of the "politics" of your
club though.

Texas is a large state with several large cities.  Plenty of people.  Get
them involved!

I personally know how hard it is to get people to help out as I had some
folks contact the AFA about helping with the web page - it got assigned to
me to co-ordinate but the volunteers just evaporated without a trace.

I think now is the time to get more information about elections on the web
site!

bill killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/