From:
Michelle Lewin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 May 2009 14:06:26 +1200
Having read a couple of replies to the posting re what to do in an
emergency.

It is recognised that one of the most human ways to euthanase an animal
is with carbon monoxide eg petrol run car exhaust fumes.

Place the animal/s in a plastic container (eg barrel) with a hole cut
big enough to insert a length of garden hose, or cover with a tarp.
Wrap a piece of Rag around the other end of the garden hose and insert
into the tail pipe of the car. Make sure it doesn't fall out. This
takes a few minutes; they fall asleep and asphyxiate in their sleep.
In the mean time you can load up essentials for leaving.

DO NOT Drown them I had to do this to a wild cat and it still haunts
me how long it took and I could never do this again!!!!!

I have had to put down other wild cats and used a cage covered/tied
with an old blanket and wrapped the blanket around the tail pipe of my
car. No matter which method is used it will have a mental cost and a
tearing of the heart.

I have heard that placing small animals in a freezer may work as they
go to sleep and die. But have never tried this one.

Another possibility is striking with the edge of a spade etc across
the neck. Uh cant imagine doing this

Personally I struggle to have sick animal's euthanaised. Doing it to
healthy animals is devastating, emotionally and mentally.

My prayers are that we are never faced with this.. but it is good to
think about it, just in case.

It is better to have a means of placing the animals in a cage in a ruck
sack or flat bottomed hikers back pack. Pack essentials like your gear
in the bottom and put the ferrets etc in the top.

Either ways I don't know I could leave mine at all, makes one think a
lot this one.

Love to all the furries and their hoomins

Michelle and the Clan