From:
Charlene Lowe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jun 1996 13:46:14 -0500
>From:    "Joel M. Cohen" <[log in to unmask]>
>We have a problem with mealy bugs in the fert food.... We keep the unopened
>bags in the freezer and have tried microwaving the food ... Any other
>suggestions?  Also what is a safe bug killer?

We also had this problem.  Freezing the food is supposed to kill the eggs.
The food has to be frozen for a couple few days to kill the eggs and then
you can remove from the freezer.  Warmth activates these bugs.  Mealy bugs
eat through plastic bags so store food that hasn't been frozen in tough
tupperware or plastic containers not just plastic bags.  If you are already
freezing the food and you still have bugs I imagine your house is infested.
I took some criticism for my opinion on exterminating.  Though as much as we
tried to avoid it, the only way we could rid our house of mealy bug
infestation was to do just that: Hire an exterminator.  No matter what
precautions we took, no matter how hard we cleaned (and we even took floor
boards up to vacuum & scrub etc because the mealy bugs had infested the
walls and ceilings) we still had bugs - and they were getting in bed with
the animals and causing them discomfort (especially our then 12 year old
ferret, Granny, who at that time didn't have the flexibility to scratch
herself everywhere that she had an itch).  Mealy bugs have a life cycle of
about 60 days so you usually have to spray twice to beat this thing because
spray typically works 60 days only on bugs not larvae.  Once and then again
in 60 days.  We hired an exterminator who used insecticides made from
chrysanthemum flowers and pea plant roots.  Pyrethrums and rotonones.  Both
have a low toxicity to humans and animals, although can be harmful if while
wet is absorbed or if the vapor is inhaled.  If heaven forbid the stuff is
inhaled or absorbed there is a possible antidote to flush it from the
system.  We received instructions regarding this pre-extermination and
talked with our vet too.  Our guy did not wear any special suit nor gas
mask.  The stuff is not harmful to animals or humans when -dry- and as I
understand it from my research on the subject the stuff we used does not
reactivate or become injurious after becoming rewetted as it is not mixable
with water or perspiration or saliva etc but only is reactivated with a
unique compound.  Of course we took precautions by removing food & bedding
from the premises prior, vacating for a good while, and then washing up
areas where we or the beasties would eat or sleep.  Our vet even recommended
spraying the ferrets bed directly and the literature we collected also
indicated this was recommended & safe.  But, we decided against this.  You
are definitely not supposed to saturate any area.  The most common way of
becoming infested with mealy bugs is from pet food and from bird seed.  I
have noticed mealy worms in corners of almost every pet food store I have
ever been in.  Our exterminator said that pet food stores were their biggest
customers.  Good luck - we have been bug free for a long time.  (And this is
one good thing about living in Minnesota - small bugs - when I lived in
Texas we had bugs the size of my foot and lizards too!  Eeeek!  )