From:
Kelleen & The INSANE 10 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Apr 1996 05:31:52 -0800
Hi,

I tried all kinds of collars but the best so far has been to take some ball
chain like lamp chain pulls are made of and size it to where one pinkie fits
between it and the neck.  Then I buy little double O rings like the larger
version that keychains can be made out of.  I get very small ones.  Then I
get a bell and an ID tag and put them on the small O rings.  Then fit the
chain thru the rings.  This is a very inexpensive way to go and if they do
get it off it is easy and costs little to just replace.  I buy the ID tags
at our local humane society for $2.  They are an octogonal shape but we have
them put the writing on the top half of it and we cut the bottom half off
and file it smooth.  Perfect size for the ferts!  You find the bells and the
O rings at either a craft store or a fabric store.  Often the fabric store
is much less in cost.  The ball chain can be purchased from a Home Depot
place or an inexpensive jewelry outlet as necklaces.  Connectors are found
at the Home Depot places too.  I would guess the collars cost maybe $2.50 to
$3 total to make with bell and tag.  The ferts can still get out if they get
hung up somewhere or else the connector will come undone and free them.
Usually I find them easily when one disappears.  Sometimes you need to
replace the chain if it has broken or an O ring that got caught in a carpet
fiber or something and got all stretched out.  The ID tag need not be
replaced unless you cannot find it at all.  My kids like these the best and
do not take them off too often.  Much less often than other collars I tried.
If they get wet from drinking or snorkeling etc...  no problem they will dry
rapidly and they cannot shrink or cause great friction causing the hair to
fall out.  Hope this is of help.  TNT!

      Kelleen & the INSANE Animal House