From:
Debbie Riccio <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 May 1996 10:20:34 -0500
To Dave and Serena:

I'm not a vet, but I've had a little experience with prolapsed rectums when
raising kits.  I have a couple of theories.

One is that my previous vet encouraged me to wean kits ASAP.  This is where
I had my first problem.  Dr. Judi Bell (MF) and my own vet, Dr. Edwards, say
that mom's milk is the best food for baby ferrets.  Baby ferrets don't
naturally wean until about 5 or 6 wks of age, according to Dr. Bell, and I
think weaning prior to that only encourages gassy tummies and prolapsed
rectums.  Their little systems aren't ready to handle that kind of food yet.

Using clay litter on tiny babies has also caused problems - at least for me.

A prolapsed rectum is caused by excessive straining - one of my babies had
such a serious case that about 1/2 inch of her rectum had prolapsed.  This
means it pops out - you'll know it when you see it - it looked liked a
little jelly roll, was all bloody, and the poor baby was in terrible pain.

The vet popped it back in and tried stitching it, but there's a fine line
between too tight and too loose.  He couldn't seem to find it.  It took
almost 3 weeks and then a different vet to correct this problem.  This one
baby cost me $200 in vet bills and many sleepless nights - as well as an
upset stomach of my own before it was finally corrected.

The slightly protruding rectums you see in the pet stores may be due to
the fact that these kits had recently been descented.  Surgery is done only
about a week or so before they're in the pet stores.

Debbie Riccio
WNYFLFA
Rochester, NY