Date:
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 16:01:49 +1200
Hi there.
Just dropped a line to give a Guy progress report.

Over the past few days (since Saturday), Guy has been recovering his
strength well.  He is eating reasonably well (not as much as I'd like, but
an improvement).  he's waking a few more times every day - not sleeping all
day as he was doing... Instead of dragging his rear, as he started doing, he
is now walking more normally, although it tires him after a short time.  The
vet is happy with his progress at this date, as am I.  He is still not up to
par, nor will he be for some time, but his rapid improvement gives everyone
here hope that he may recover to the extent that he will act like his old
self fairly soon.

It is autumn here in New Zealand, and I have a contrary cinnamon female who
has just decided to go into season.  With Guy out of action, I'm worried
about the consequences of 'just leaving her', so I'm asking you all for
suggestions.  There are no vasectomised males within a two hour driving
radius (and I don't have a car), if there are any at all in this country...
Ferrets are an unusual pet in this part of New Zealand, which means the
likelyhood of finding a whole male anywhere in my vicinity is close to nil.
Since cinnamons are extremely rare here (I've only seen two others, one is
her mother), I've been trying to breed Gemn.  However she has never caught -
next year is to be my last attempt.  If she doesn't catch then, I'm planning
to have her speyed.  However, a litter at this time of year is definately
NOT what I'm planning, so I'd like to know if there are other ways that
ferrets can be brought out of season.  As a matter of interest, some drugs
available in the United States are not available in New Zealand, so any
suggestions on what can be used instead of diazoxide for Guy would be
appreciated.  Currently, my vet believes that the prednisone and the change
of diet should be enough, as he is responding so well, but I'd like a list
"in case".

Thanks for your support.
Sam and the family,
Ferrets: Gemn (tail-less wonder), Guy (lazy), Podo (my baby), Slinky
(nickname Stinky) and Vader (crazy)
Cats: Mule (stubborn as...) and Silver (whom everyone loves)
Rainbow Lorikeets: Johnny (baldy) and Jeni (cute as a NOISY
multi-coloured button)