From:
Ginger Wethington <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 4 May 1994 20:36:34 -0400
I have two ferrets, Pan (neutered, 1 1/2 yrs) and Io (7 months).
When I bought Io, the store said that she had been spade.  But
I know a few people that have bought female ferrets from the
same store and they were told that they were altered, but they
were not.  I was wondering if there was any way to tell if
she has been spade.  She does not have a scare.  How old are
they when they go into heat and are there any signs I could
recognize that would tell me if she was in heat?  I have been
told that a ferret will die if they go into heat and do not
mate, is this true?  My vet said he could perform surgery on
her and see if she had been spade.  But I would hate for him to
cut her open for no reason.  What should I do?

Ginger, Pan and Io