From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 1994 07:55:49 -0500
To Mark O concerning ferret hearing:

        Yes, ferrets are able to discern sounds far above the hearing of people,
however, not quite as high as dogs can.  The hearing of jills is given a special
boost above that of other ferrets shortly after the birth of a litter.  It has
been proposed that an extra requirement is placed upon the jill's hearing to
hear the very high-pitched cries or hungry or distressed kits.

        I don't think the recorder hurts their ears so much - they may be just
intrigued by the noise.  The guitar, on the other hand, may present more of a
problem, especially in the upper ranges....

        I'll need to get back to you on the amount of ivermectin that your
ferrets require....could you tell me how much ivermectin is present in each of
the tablets that you are giving to your ferrets in the meantime?

To Ross considering KittyMalt:

        Kittymalt, Petromalt, Laxatone - they are all the same formulation of
petrolatum and flavoring (usually a variation of cod liver oil).  They are
interchangeable in my book.

        Regarding not feeding for a few hours before or after administration - I
have never worried about that and have not seen any ill effects in 15 years of
using these products...

To Lenny concerning vaccinations:

> People wouldn't vaccinate their own children, would
> they?
Well, I don't see why not.  Lay people learn how to give injections
all the time.  Diabetic children do it.  Allergy sufferers do it.
Even junkys can do it.  Empirical evidence suggests that one
does not need an advanced medical degree to perform injections.

My reply:  It is easier to give an SUBCUTANEOUS injection to a human than one to
a squirming and often biting animal, not to mention having to give an
intramuscular injection.  People understand that they don't move or react to the
injection.  Even with good technicians, vets and technicians occasionally get
bitten while administering injections, even when precaustions are taken.  Vets
and technicians know where to give IM injections so that the sciatic nerve is
not injectied and the leg paralyzed for the duration of the animals' life.
Because I have seen the tragic outcome of people "doing" their own pets, I know
how important good technique is.
        Also people are well trained prior to giving injections, by nurses or
doctors.  Would you learn out of the back of the catalog where you ordered your
needles?
        Children are taught because without insulin, they will die.  It is
necessary to their survival they they learn to inject themselves.  In fact, my
mother takes two injections of indulin daily.  But she would never try to
vaccinate her animals - she takes them to the vet.
        Junkies die of AIDS or infections, or amyloidosis resulting from
improper technique.  I don't think they are a model to be admired for their
technical skills.

>  Also, who issues the rabies and distemper vaccination certificates?
This is a much meatier question.  I love my vet dearly, but the
distemper vaccination certificates she used to give out, were
dog certificates with dog crossed out (with a pen) and ferret
written in.   Now the certificates are laser printed along with
the receipts for the visit, and I'm usure (because I haven't
verified it) that they are kosher.  I trust my vet, but if she
can just dash one off on her HPLJ4, why can't I?

My reply:  It is not the certificate, but the SIGNATURE that is important.  The
vet is licensed in the state to provide the vaccination service and is
recognized by the state on the basis o f the signature.  With your signature,
the vaccination certificate would not be legal.

> Who examines the ferret for other health problems ?
My vet, no question there.  But I object to paying fifteen
bucks a stick when the raw materials cost closer to four.
Whats my threshold? I dunno, ten bucks... Seven maybe, if
I bring in four at a time.

This is the major reasons why vets have such a difficult time making a living.
Unfortunately, vaccination are what supports the vets - sick animals don't.  The
extra few dollars that you object to is what pays the help, and the electricity,
what feeds the strays that are dropped off weekly to your vets, or the dogs that
nobody bothers to pick up.  Or the ones that are hit by cars and dropped off by
Good Samaritans.
        When I graduated from vet school in 1985 I was married and 40,000
dollars in debt.  The most anyone would offer me to start, after 7 years of
schools was $24K per year.  Try to make a living on that.  I joined the Army,
and at $32K, was the second highest paid vet in my graduating class.
        The myth of the rich vet is just that - a myth.  Most of the vets I know
work 60-80 hours a week to break even.  What a life!!!  You've got to believe in
what your'e doing to stay in this business.

> Animals should be occasionally seen by a vet to be checked over.
> The best time for this is during the annual
> (or semiannual, for older animals) trips to the vet.
Yes!  But I'd rather pay the vet for the diagnostic skills
that they learned  in Vet School, than for the shots which
I can get easily and a lot more cheaply.  Two injections
should not cost as much or more than the examination.

My reply - It seems to me, that if the vet charged $30 dollars for the exam and
5 dollars apiece for the shots, you would think the exam was too expensive,
especially if no disease was found.

Well. That was fun to write. Thanks.
lenny.

I'm glad you enjoyed it.