Date:
Mon, 6 May 2002 10:36:13 -0700
>If everyone on this list refused to buy another pet store or breeder
>ferret and only adopted or fostered those ferrets rescued by shelters,
>strays they find, give aways by irresponsible people we know, calls by
>our vet, etc.  - we could help immensely with the problem of throw aways.
>Believe me the shelters would still have plenty left over to keep them
>open.
>
>Kim the Oregon one

Being a volunteer with a shelter, I personally agree.  But there ARE
respectable breeders whose kids are well treated and seem to have
longevity.  There are breeders who produce strong, healthy, viable
kits.  And sometimes there are reasons for purchasing a pet store kit to
'rescue' it from an unhealthy situation.

I'll admit, I have bought pet store kits before.  The more time I spent
with the shelter kids, the more my heart broke.  True, the young, cute
and healthy ones MAY find homes.  The ones I couldn't stop thinking about
the so called 'unadoptables'.  The ones that are 'thrown-away' because of
health, training, or temperment issues.

The elders, the blind, the biters, the ones with advanced disease that
were too old or frail for surgery.  Those are the ones that stole my
heart.  Those are the ones I wanted to give a 'Forever Home' to.  Even
knowing it may only be a short time.

In my hope of hopes, I pray that the foster kids I lost like Carrie Jo,
Pootsie, Sheba, Alyssa, Robin, Yogi, Simon, Christina, Nippy, and Willie
all left feeling that they were truly loved.  That they will always have
a 'Forever Home' in my heart.

Not everyone may have the patience or ability to deal with a ferret that
needs constant medical care or hand-feedings or other special care.  Not
everyone can handle knowing the heartbreak that the ferret may leave
suddenly.

I would ask anyone who is planning another addition to think about it.
Go to a shelter, see what 'Special Needs' ferrets are there.  Is there a
foster program available at the shelter where the shelter operators will
assist / train you for caring for the ferret?  Will the shelter pay/assist
with the medical costs?  Some shelter operators only want the ferret to
have a true 'home' before they leave.

Give it some consideration.  Maybe you can open your heart and your home
to a 'less-than-perfect' ferret who is just as deserving (if not more) of
your love and attention.

Warm Fuzzies ~!~!

Kevin B and the Way Kewl Kritter Crew
~Lacey~Sprite~Cuddles~Java~Miss Priss~Cinna~Racer~Patch~
~Mocha~Nikki~Selene~Skooter~Tootsie~ Peabody~Sierra~Elway~Sacramento~
and Mist the Fer-Kat
Fosters - ~Stubbie~
Guardian Fur-Angels - ~Furrice~Lady~Yogi~Nippy~Carri
Jo~Putsie~Alyssa~Zeus~
~Rascal~Socks~Muttley~Dookesbury~Little
Boy~Willie~Robin~Christina~Hershey~Sheba~Simon~Sasquatch~
Please see KITY=^..^=KAT's Fur Faces, Memorial for Zeus
http://www.geocities.com/Petsburgh/2396/zeus.html
Prayers to the ill and those who have gone before us. Hug your fuzzies
while you can, hold them in your heart when you can't.