From:
Paige Townsend <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Dec 1997 15:07:07 -0500
This is one of the hardest things I have ever had to put in writing, mainly
because it means that I have to accept it as reality.

On Wednesday, December 10th 1997 I had to say goodbye to my beloved
Lightning.  One week previous I had brought Lightning to the vets as I had
noticed her "zoning out" and she was sleeping a more than usual.  At this
time she was diagnosed with Insulinoma and I was given some medication to
help control her sugar levels.  The medicine seemed to do its trick, she was
dooking everywhere, winning every wrestling match with her sisters and
seemed to be herself again.  Wednesday morning, everything changed.
Lightning had the very first seizure of her short life, luckily I was home
this day and some sugar to the gums brought her out of the seizure
immediately.  One hour later, she seizured again; at this point I phoned the
vets and said I was on my way in.  By the time I arrived at the vet she was
screaming in pain, she was given Valium to help her calm down.  The
remainder of the day, Dr. Bernhard fought to increase Lightnings blood sugar
level to a point where she could be stabalized.  Even a glucose drip
directly into Lightning's veins resulted in a lower blood sugar level.
Nothing we could do was helping.  I had promised Lightning earlier that day
that I would not let her be in pain again, so I made the hardest decision in
my life and had her put down.  I was with her until the end, and I am
positive she knew I was there and she was loved.

I have since found out that Lightning's life was taken from me at the young
age of 4, due to a very aggressive tumor that had spread from her pancreas
to her liver where it spread so quickly that the body had no chance of
fighting it at all.

Even though I have to say goodbye Lightning, I want to thank you for
everything that you have given me.  You will be forever in my thoughts and
always close to my heart.

Thank you for your life Lightning, I'll love you always
Paige