From:
"Ilena E. Ayala" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 May 1998 14:23:09 -0400
>We all know that many indoor plants can be poisonous when chewed on or
>ingested.  But how about outside plants?  Are there any flowers or shrubs
>that should be avoided on our great adventures?

Yes.  Nightshade for one.  Because the types will vary by where you live,
a general suggestion is if you are concerned about your ferret chewing on
plant matter on a walk, buy (or borrow from a library) a field guide to
plants that covers types in your areas.  Not only will you make your ferrets
safer, it will add a whole new dimention of learning to your walk.  You'll
be surprised what plants are edible and medicinal as well!

Mine don't seem to show any interest in eating plants.

In general, I keep my ferrets off the lawns of private homes.  This is not
to keep them from digging holes; it's because I'm concerned about the
possibility that pesticides, herbicides or other potentially toxic chemicals
may have been applied to their lawn.  Sometimes there are little signs out,
but why take chances?

-Ilena Ayala