From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 13:03:52 -0400
John asked about the number switching to raw diets, but there is also
another part of the equation: the people who return from it.
http://www.bogartsdaddy.com/bouvier/Health/raw_meat_tristans_story.htm
is just one example, and I haven't put that one among past references
listed in previous months or years here if I recall right.  (Rather than
repeat too often I would rather people look things up in archives and
using the SEND FERRET nnnn feature.  I suspect many readers already saw
the others and are short on time, and I know that I am pretty much always
short on time.  I trust the ones who didn't see the past posts to look
things up.)

I am way too pressed for time to go through the many pages more which
come up but those who are curious can do their own searches.  Besides,
I gave a number of other links a couple (?) of months ago and trust FML
people to look things up.

The fact of the matter is that even vets are split on this issue.
Despite claims by those feeding raw foods that serious infections of
bacteria or parasites from raw food feeding are almost non-existant,
multiple treating vets on the FHL have already been in that position.
Those vets refer to such infections are rare, but consider them likley
enough to recommend against raw feeding.  Also, the types of infections
that can be transmitted by raw foods tend to be extremely serious ones,
some incurable.  See sources like _Biology and Diseases of the Ferret,
2nd edition_.

Also go to Google and search for "Major Infectious Diseases of Dogs
and Cats (Listed Alphabetically)" at IVIS and click CACHED to access.
You may need to do it three searches using cached to bring it up:
A to D, E to L, M to Z.

There is a lot out there -- on each side.

The fact of the matter is that EVEN THE VETS DON'T AGREE BECAUSE IT
ALL DEPENDS ON HOW ONE WEIGHS THE RISK FACTORS AND THERE IS NO CLEAR
REASON TO MORE HEAVILY WEIGH EITHER SIDE, so debating it is great for
sharing information, but neither diet is perfect.

Personally, I have NOT seen enough hard data to risk infections in our
ferrets by moving away from kibble.

I have enough hard data to be able to balance a diet, but I don't know
how many who move to non-kibble diets have enough data or know how to
use it.

Anyway, just a reminder that neither side is perfect, that the experts
don't agree -- that is how much this issue is in the gray area, and that
people really need to be careful to look up each side of the issue.  When
all factors known so far are considered neither side is completely right
and neither side is completely wrong, so whichever choice you have made:
RELAX!  You did fine.

If any claim is made which sounds too good or too bad to be accurate
then it probably is not accurate unless you can be provided with hard
data from peer reviewed studies.  Also, remember that the most reputable
resources also freely admit challenges and downsides.  (That is like
with herbal texts; a lot of people have gotten into trouble with herbal
texts, claims, and meds that told their up-sides but left out the
cautions, counter-indications, conflicts, etc.  so when buying an herbal
text always look for ones that tell the full story, the bad as well as
the good.)

Anyway, that is enough.  People have discussed the upsides they find with
raw many time recently.  If you are new here in the last 2 months since
I last provided this sort of info you know now that you can look up info
on the other side, too.  PLEASE, let it be AT LEAST another 2 months
before I have to say this again.  (Chuckling but also truly hoping for
a much longer hiatus.)

I'd rather go to topics that actually have enough hard data or have
really neat new information, or help ferrets and people more than this
merry-go-round is doing.  SHADES OF GRAY!

Personally, I think there has been enough repetition to skip the topic
for the next several months.  (Please... she whimpers...)

-- Sukie (not a vet, and not speaking for any of the below in my
private posts)
Recommended health resources to help ferrets and the people who love
them:
Ferret Health List
FHL Archives
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
AFIP Ferret Pathology
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html
Miamiferrets
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/
International Ferret Congress Critical References
http://www.ferretcongress.org