From:
Derek & Amy Flemming - Flemming Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:33:25 -0400
[Moderator's note: Part one appeared in yesterday's FML (issue 2746).
Parts 2 and 3 were sent today -- I've combined them into one post.  BIG]

[Hi guys - sorry this didn't come thu (the 2nd part).  I tried to send the
whole thing and it was bounced back!  Sent the part 2 & didn't get that it
bounced back - so here is part 2 & part 3 will follow.]

>Most of the nay-sayers to breeding one's ferret comes from breeders.

Mostly, folks don't understand the cost of the risks, the costs of the
kits, and etc.  Have you ever had an extra bunch of hyper kits in your
home (I know you, MC, had Sam's kits)?  It can be unreal!

They are cute, but can you find homes for them?  Will you be able to pay
for 30 distemper vaccines and 10 rabies vaccines?  How about other
inflictions kits have?  How about food?  Can you afford to FEED all the
kits?  They will need to be in cages.  Can you afford new cages?  And
advertising to sell the kits?  And paperwork, and toys?  And the biggest
thing - TIME!  Do you have the time to nip train these ferrets?  Do you
have the time to socialize and play with the kits?  How about if not all
of the kits get along?  Do you have time to arrange different play times?
What happens if you have these kits when the jill kits go in estrus?  Can
you get them HGC shots - or will they be bred because you couldn't sell
them?  How about altering them?  Can you afford to have them all altered?
Can you afford to pay your vet?  Or will they be stuck with the bill?  Can
your ferrets afford it when your vet tells you they will not extend your
credit further than the already $1,000.  Are you willing to KEEP all the
kits if you can't find homes for them?  Will you take them back in if the
homes you did find can't keep them?  WHEN YOU BREED ANY ANIMAL YOU ARE - or
should be - RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT ANIMAL FOR ITS WHOLE LIFE!  Even if you do
not own it or no longer breed.

And of course - you just have to keep kits for future breeding - of course.
This gets to be a TON of ferrets!  By the time you figure out that you are
in over your head, then you are just about sunk!  Now what do you do?  And
how do you get rid of all these kits!?!?

I have heard of kits and breeders DUMPED into shelters for some of the
following reasons:

My spouse was going to leave me . . .
They cost too much . . .
They bite . . .
My city told me I had too many . . .
I didn't know that it was going to be so involved . . .

I have just heard of a guy that had over 200 ferrets and ones he couldn't
give away he released into "the wild".

Some people do not understand how involved breeding MUST get.  LOTS OF
RESEARCH should be done and CONSIDERED!

Serious breeders, may it be large, meduim or small, should have very
serious plans prior to breeding ANY animal.  Putting genes together is
"playing God" and YOU, the breeder, control what the outcome is.  This
could be an animal with a super temperament.  It could be an unpredictable
animal.  It could be an animal with horrid conformation.  It could be an
animal with excellent conformation.  It could be a combination of these or
other things.  A breeder must consider WHAT they want the outcome to be and
HOW they will obtain that goal.  Some breeders have not reached that goal -
and some *think* they have.

>You didn't listen to the negative comments, if any were offered

This is not true - we DID listen and we learned from them.

>When you heard (If you did) that you can lose livestock for any number of
>reasons, you went ahead anyway, thinking it couldn't happen to you or that
>it was an acceptable risk.

Yes - we did go ahead - BUT we were aware of the risks!  Some folks AREN'T
and change there mind after hearing them.  I know a woman that bred her
beloved jill and almost lost her becasue she DIDN'T know of ANY risks.

>You should always advise of the possible roadblocks and pitfalls, but
should ALWAYS encourage the new breeder if they decide to proceed

This we do - just ask anyone . . . . I will answer questions that folks
ask.  I will assist folks that ask.  Some I will not encourage, but there
are others I will and have.

In all, breeding ferrets is a huge commitment and responsiblity.  Many
people do not understand this.  In turn, it is a huge joy and is something
I would not trade for the world.

And FYI, I am STILL learning . . . and so are other breeders.  If they
tell you otherwise - they are not good breeders.

Amy Flemming

Flemming Farms - Michigan, USA
Breeding for Quality Ferrets
American, Australian, German, and New Zealand bloodlines
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/heartland/ranch/9521

Weasel Watchers Ferret Rescue - Michigan, USA
Helping Needy Weasels
Come see us at http://www.geocities.com/petsburgh/zoo/2690

"For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism"