From:
Marilyn Ledoux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 26 Jun 2006 10:39:28 -0400
Hi FML er's,

This is way off topic, but I need to tell all you Gardner's how I'm
managing.  If you and I are going to support vet bills, we need to
manage all our resources.

I've got a garden.  Hey Alex, I too have a woodchuck, who should be the
size of a horse she eats so much.  The rain has not let up here in NH, I
lost my driveway - someone in Connecticut has it, (washed away in the 6
inches of rain we had in one afternoon, leaving 8 inch ruts) and the
ground is so soft, my dug well collapsed, BUT I still have my garden.

I planted my strawberries in a hanging pot, my Tiny Tim tomatoes (all
six) in BIG pots, the lettuce in two window boxes, the cuke and summer
squash in a tub.  I decided I needed more than one bean plant, so they
did not get planted.

Now when we have those downpours that wash everything away, I run the
whole garden in to my porch.  I run it out for a gentle rain and some
sun, and back again when we get wind and heavy rain.  It has been
raining here since March.  My rhubarb got waterlogged and laid down,
the asparagus didn't come up at all, then when the temp hit 90, it came
up and went to seed two inches out of the ground.

The upside of all this, I can weed in comfort from my lawn chair, and
there are no bugs on the screened in porch.

The down side, I will not have the Gardner's badge, my " Weeders Tan"
(the ridge of tan across your back just above your underpants).  I have
had to work like a bee and pollinate everything with a Q-Tip, and you
thought they were only for ears, and it is to soon to tell, BUT after all
this work, I expect the tomatoes will be tough, they have more miles on
them than a junk yard Buick.

But, I got a garden.

Marilyn