From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 May 1999 17:38:55 EDT
>Can someone tell me the difference/benefits/preference/reasoning on giving
>a fert with potential Helicobacter (gastric ulcers) Pepto-Bismal, Mylanta,
>or Kaopectate?

Hillyer's book, "Ferrets, Rabbits and Rodents, Clinical Medicine and
Surgery" lists the following treatment for helicobacter: Amoxicillin,
Metronidazole and Bismuth subsalicylate (for example, Pepto-Bismol)."
The bismuth in the Pepto Bismol does kill the helicobacter as does the
Amoxicillin and Metronidazole.  Most vets also give sulcrafate to help heal
any ulcerated tissue while the helicobacter is killed off.  Treatment is
generally 2 weeks, but some vets like to go 28 - 30 days in severe cases
to cut down on the potential for relapse.

The Kaopectate is generally better tolerated by the ferret than Pepto
Bismol, but tends to relieve the diarrhea only.

Dick B.
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter