From:
Jerry Jackowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 May 1998 14:41:41 -0700
Hello Guru's

Just this last comment on giving ferrets away versus selling.  I never
disagreed to Melissa's comments.  She did a great job of NOT generalizing
and categorizing everybody who is put in the position of getting rid of
their ferrets.  Some people on this list think that one drunk driver
represents the entire driving population.  If that were true we would all
be in serious trouble and seriously restricted.

As much as we talk about not buying ferrets from pet stores how many of us
have done it?  I have!  You know, you see this one special fuzzy that just
calls out to you.  And in the back of your mind during the justification
process you tell yourself "I'll save you from someone who probably won't
give you the care you deserve." And the next thing you know, your committing
$100 + to the pet store.

Sometimes what is good for our fuzzy friends doesn't come down a two way
street.  I guess you have to ask yourself "What can I or am I willing to do
if the street happens to be one way?" " What is really best for this
animal?" If you don't rescue the animal from this situation just because
it's not free, are you really doing what is best?  The expense of owning a
ferret goes far beyond the initial purchase.

The bottom line is I'm not justifying why people are trying to recoup their
expenses, but what will happen to that little fuzzy guy or gal if YOU make
$$ the discriminator.  Aren't we supposed to be doing what is best for the
ferret?

Next:

Nita and myself had a great time at the GLFA show in Michigan Saturday.  We
got to meet several great people from the FML (Hi Dee, Linda, Lorie, Bob,
Kathy, Scarlett, Bunny, Pat, Mike & Rita and Derek & Amy) and many others.
If you have never gone to one of these shows GO!  If you are impressed with
the kindness that exist on this list, then you will be blown away by meeting
these people in person.

We didn't take any ferrets to the show.  I'm glad we didn't!  I don't know
where we would have put them and all the other stuff my wife purchased (I
mean "We purchased").  How much stuff did we buy?  Well lets put it this
way, we had to ask if some of the folks from our area had room in their
cars and vans to help us out.

Ho!  Buy the way, if you're an early to bed person you might think about
getting a hotel no where near the show.  Especially when you have a lot of
show winners staying at the same hotel.  I have no clue where these people
get their energy.  Most of them were at the show from 9:30 am to 11:00 pm
solid and when they did get to the hotel it was time to let the fuzzies out
to play and socialize about the days events and talk ferrets.  Every single
one of the ferret people we met at the hotel had and open door policy (as
long as you watched your step and closed the door behind you.) allowing us
to play with the ferrets, be a part of the celebration and talk ferrets.
I can tell you this, our 6:30 am departure turned out to be 9:00 am and
believe me we never came close to eight hours sleep.

Everybody, have a great week.
Jerry, Nita and the six sock scarfs (Soon to be seven after Wednesday)