Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 13:26:22 -0700
After years of discussion, two investigatory trips to Europe to
confirm data and trends, nearly two years of planning, and months
of severe anxiety, I am standing on New Zealand soil. Well, me and
a large spinner of clothes (69 lbs), a large spinner of camera gear
(70.5 lbs -- they gave me a break on the 1/2 lb when I paid for extra
luggage), a large shipping container of equipment (67 lbs), a medium
shipping container of equipment and cameras (48 lbs), a film bag (30
lbs), a camera bag (28 lbs), and a computer bag (18 lbs). Yeah, baby,
I'm movin' that weight all by myself! You can check out my abs when I
get back... or perhaps just the bruises on my shoulders. ;-)

The flight was mostly uneventful. My film bag was torn in transit and
I had to buy a new one at the airport, but I didn't lose a single roll
of film. The flight from KC to Dallas was somewhat marred by my being
locked next to the window by two huge sumo-sized guys, but luckily I
have a large bladder and the will to use it. The Dallas to LA leg was
nice, but two different sumo-guys locked me into the window seat again.
This time, dehydration was my friend. The leg from LA to Auckland was
entirely during night, and I wisely slept, if you can call what happens
when sleeping in a seat with your feet perched on an underseat bag
sleeping. I got to Auckland, checked into the hotel, and went through
the equipment checklist to make sure everything was working properly.
I spent Saturday recovering from jet lag, which was rather severe
considering I'd put myself on NZ time for a while, taking my sweet
time checking my gear. My equipment is functioning perfectly, and
while I am marginal from jet-lag, dehydration, and a lack of caffeine,
I am functional.

I did have one first. I fell asleep about 11 pm Thursday, March 13, and
I woke at 3 am Saturday, March 15. I completely slept through Friday! I
never completely slept through an entire day before (I have spent the
day in bed before, but we won't talk about Portland, ok?). Of course,
the day was very short because we went over the international dateline,
but hey, the record still stands!

I will have another first. I went from Fall, to Winter, and now back
again into Fall. It will almost be Winter before I return to the
Northern Hemisphere, where it will be almost Summer. This will be the
"Year Without Spring!" I wonder what that will do to my photoperiodism.

On Monday, I do a week of university work, and then into the field.
I'll keep you up to date of my scholarly adventures, but can't promise
how often.

I can't wait to experience my first living feral ferret.

Bob C [log in to unmask]