From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Dec 2002 15:32:06 -0800
There has been some debate over whether or not ferrets are exotic.  Of
course we all know they are domesticated.  That isn't the issue.  The
issue is what the classification is.  Exotic really just means anything
that isn't native to one's homeland, one's country.  Just like people can
be classified as "exotic" who are from another country originally.  Since
ferrets aren't native to the U.S. that would indeed classify them as
exotic because they don't naturally breed and live in the wilds here.
Domestic skunks which ARE native to this country are NOT exotic, because
they do exist in the wilds here.  Some classify skunks as exotics, which
they are not.  I think people are getting confused over the whole term.
It's not a bad thing to be exotic.  It's just what ferrets are.  I don't
frankly see what all the fuss is about.  They are still just as valued
and important to us - still a treasured part of the family. :)

[SH]