From:
Edward Lipinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 02:50:24 +700
Let those who are sensitive to apparent ferret cruelty not read this
posting.  Besides it is submitted by Edward Lipinski, and you very well
know about him!

May I address a solution to the often experienced behavior problem that may
a second ferret owner experiences after bringing home another or a second
ferret.  And this is prompted by Mary Beth, husband Kevin and biting
Daisy's posting.

That problem is the elimination of the aggressiveness by or towards the
incoming furbut with a mouthful of teeth seeking flesh and fur.

Now if you are still reading this in spite of the fact that you were warned
above and did not heed the warning, then don't blame Edward Lipinski.  Oh,
yes .. it's HIM!  (Or more properly, HE)

What has succeeded for me is the donning on the aggressor ferret of a head
funnel that protrudes just a little bit beyond the ferret's nose and that
is attached around the ferrets neck.

If you will save two of your empty toilet paper rolls, you may cut them
geometrically such that they together form a head funnel that is taped (I
use masking tape) closed in 3 or 4 places.  Make the head/neck funnel
rather narrow at the nose end so the ferret doesn't always trip on the
funnel when its forward rim catches on an imperfection in the floor or on
furniture.

Thus the aggressor ferret will rush to the attack only to be thwarted most
effectively by the head funnel that will not permit a teethed purchase on
the victim ferret.  The victim ferret will, initially as least, bite the
funnel-headed ferret in retaliation for the "bump" but will later on come
to ignore the bumping by the ever frustrated and unsuccessful aggressor.

The aggressor ferret is "funneled" every time it's in association with its
victim ferrets.  Of course, when it's caged alone or with ferrets that are
not its victim, off comes the funnel.

Greatest time of 2 1/2 weeks before we got our little tiger trained.
Shortest time, just one day.

Go ahead and try it Mary Beth & Karla and see if it works for you.  Let me
know how you do, OK?

Edward Lipinski, who has enough to offer to fill a book.