From:
The Weyr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 04:22:37 -0800
Hi all.

My heartfelt sympathies to anyone with a ferret with flu, let alone
multiple ferrets with flu. It must be terrifying.

When one of ours came down with it in July, probably the regular
seasonal version, one of our doctors recommended children's benedryl,
we knew that one, and .2 cc of guaifenesin - a decongestant available
in children's and baby cough/cold syrups. She was getting both about
every 6 hours, you could tell when they were wearing off, she was
miserable and struggling to breathe. The guaifenesin really seemed to
help even after she had no obvious signs of congestion.

For those unlucky enough to have it progress towards the chest, don't
forget to talk to your vet about aminophylline. Since I have asthma
myself and are very susceptible to bronchitis, I can also tell you that
these things can be rattling around in your chest before your doctor
can hear them, so don't be bashful about asking before those symptoms
show.

Also I have found that steaming the Vicks vaporizer oil, which is
eucalyptus and a couple of other natural brochialators/decongestants,
in an old crock pot in the kitchen, not next to the ferret or in their
room, helps (both of us).

Don't underestimate the value of that good old chicken soup either.
Fortunately our soup recipe is based very similarly to human chicken
soup, I just watered it down a bit to get extra fluids into our girl
and added a few extra electrolytes.

And finally, medical oxygen is available to the public in most places
with a prescription if you just know where to look for it. I found it
by calling all the gas suppliers in the yellow pages under wielding
supplies and asking if they carried medical oxygen. I stress medical
oxygen because there is a difference. If you get that far you will
need a tank, a regulator, tubing (aquarium works fine), a mask, I use
a household funnel, or better a box. Not inexpensive, but very handy
for shelters.

Again, you have my sympathizes and are in our thoughts.

Brenda, Momma to the FupeopleWeyr
FurpeopleWeyr.com

Bed rest, meds, soup and extra gray hairs for me!